A new scheme has been developed in the North and West Belfast Trust area to meet the needs of those who care for people with mental ill health. One carer advocate is currently employed. Carers want to be involved, want to be valued and want to secure the best care as quickly as possible for the person they support.
Praxis Mental Health has started and is developing a range of support services for carers. This can be achieved by some of the following issues being addressed –
- access to a mental health or social care professional on request
- prompt response to requests for help
- have their own needs assessed and met
- able to get breaks from caring
- explanation of the mental health problem affecting the person they are caring for
- information on treatments, alternative treatments and their effects
- and information on what support will be provided when the carer is no longer available.